Re: Germans and Klezmer

>And don't Germans have their own music?<
They do. Hitler changed the original, sensitive music into marches, but apart
from the big, commercial part of "Volksmusik", which still sounds that way,
there is a German folk movement which cares about the real folk music.
It?s not that all Germans play klezmer music.

>Why don't the Germans perform the music of the long-resident,
but non-citizen Turkish "guest workers" in their midst?<

They do. And they also perform Greek, Croatian, Bulgarian, Irish, African,
South-American etc music, much more than Jewish music, as much as the
children of the "ausländische Mitbürger", whose majority does own a German
passport, perform Hip-Hop, Jazz, Funk whatever... The phenomenon of a widely
ramified cultural identity is similar to all Western capitalist countries.
This has become a modern multicultural society, and Germany, to my own
surprise, has taken in the most refugees from all European countries the last
years, still even under Kohl. I?m highly aware that this doesn?t change past
at all and doesn?t temper the crimes of the past and today in any way, but
this, too, is part of our reality. I?m convinced you couldn?t tell a German
teenager from a Swiss, Dutch, English, American one if you couldn?t hear the
language. They don?t wear Lederhosen anymore (at least not the Bavarian
model).
It?s just much more *differentiated* than the granddaughter of the
SS-murderer  playing Jewish music to repair family history.

Christian