Re: Germans and Klezmer

Khupenikes (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> >A recent German film (English title: Beyond Silence),
> >concerns an o-so-sensitive  young woman, the daughter of
> >hearing-impaired  parents
> >-note the symbolism- who aspires to become a klezmer clarinetist.
> >Nowhere in this film  are either Jews or Jewish music ever mentioned!!!
>
> Since the discussion has gone much further, this might not be so interesting
> anymore, but still:
> "Jenseits der Stille" is a Swiss, not German, film,

Thank you for the clarification.

> with music written by
> Niki Reiser from Kol Simcha. Because his music is, in part, slightly
> klezmer-flavored you may have gotten the impression that the young girl wants
> to become a klezmer musician. That?s not part of the story. She wants to
> become a classical clarinetist.

If you say so, -- although it doesn't jibe with the film I saw.
I saw the film (on video) with subtitles.  The word "klezmer" was used,
not the word "classical".  And there was dialogue concerning "klezmer music",
not "classical music."
Maybe this is a shortcoming of the person doing the subtitles.
And Feidman's appearance has, of course, nothing to do with klezmer music.

> There is some central, important musical theme, which can be heard as klezmer
> or Jewish music in the sense of Feidman ("all music is klezmer").
>
> The film was indeed very successful in Switzerland and Germany, leading to
> the phenomenon that thousands of young girls wanted to learn classical, or
> whatever style, clarinet. My clarinet-teaching friends tell that they didn?t
> remember the indeed very, very short Feidman-appearence

Collective selective amnesia?
Exactly my point.  Klezmer music without Jews,
even if there is one tewnty feet high on a cinema screen
right in front of their faces!

Wolf

> - but they *did*
> remember the Girl and Niki's music.