Re: Germans and Klezmer

Dear Wolf,

thanks for the note. I did not feel offended, but You and I are most
concerned by this item, no need to say. And I do respect your feelings very
much. I do indeed understand that you >will no doubt continue to have issues
regarding the phenomenon of an all-Gentile German klezmer band<. I?m only
blaming the murderers who are responsible for that.

But still, I think there?s some distinction to be made between German klezmer
ignoring or not ignoring a Jewish cultural context. And this, sorry again, is
leading us right back to this film...

You wrote, ironically:
>And Feidman's appearance has, of course, nothing to do with klezmer music.<

That?s exactly the problem!
Feidman?s popular message ?all music is klezmer? forms an all-too-soft
blanket, covering the very problems of German-Jewish relationship. In a hazy
gesture of healing, he wrenches klezmer music out of a necessary Jewish
context. The message of healing, rather than stressing Yidishkayt in klezmer
music, is indeed the commercially most important cause for his popularity in
Germany. Klezmer music outside a cultural Jewish context is partly a result
of Feidman?s policy. Okay, that?s my opinon.

By the way, in the film he was not functioning as Giora Feidman, or even as a
 Jewish musician. He was acting as some liberal, all-embracing musical
super-ego, spreading the message of ?do-what-your-heart-tells-you-to?. So
don?t blame the poor little clarinet-girls for not knowing about the cultural
background. Young girls love kitsh, and they love smooth-sounding clarinets.
This is rather sweet than questionable.
I cannot remember talk about klezmer music in the film, but I would have to
see it again. You might be right. (This actually doesn?t go with your
statement >Nowhere in this film are either Jews or Jewish music ever
mentioned<, but I don?t wanna split hairs. I get the point.)
The girl in the film was preparing for an audition at a Conservatory, and as
an act of self-liberation she was also playing this barely Jewish-sounding
melody, working out Feidman?s message of ?feel the energy?. (Which is,
standing for itself, actually a very good motto for a musician.)

Feidman influenced a lot of German klezmer bands, but there are musicians
taking the Jewish context very seriously and are indeed working against the
image of ?Klezmer music without Jews?. They are not repressing history, and
they?re not ignoring Jewish culture as a whole. It?s even possible that
you?ll find more seriously working, anti-kitsh klezmer bands in Germany than
in other European countries. (Of course, the majority is still fiddling on
the roof.)
And, by the way, things are slowly, slowly becoming a little better here. The
long-time reign of the historian Helmut Kohl was not the best time for
dealing properly with German history.

And, dear American colleagues, klezmer music is not the big deal here, though
it naturally makes a good headline!
Yes, klezmer music became much more popular, but if you ask people in the
streets, 39 out of 40 won?t know the term. (And the one person who knows will
think of Feidman, in the first place.)
You can probably compare the popularity of klezmer music in Germany to its
popularity in Holland (where it?s still better known), Switzerland, and
probably the Scandinavian countries.

Christian

(By the way, I didn?t like this stupid movie - far too shmaltzy. Too bad I?m
not a young girl...)