Re: Meaning of "Klezmer"

Thanks, Josh!  I really like the redefinition.  I wasn't comfortable with my
category of "entertainment" anyway.  I still would like a label to slap on
the type of music you play (was there one, did I miss it?), which (by your
definition of it) doesn't seem to be so far from what lots of us are trying
to do.

If I understand your thoughts, you are saying "I am immersed in the musical
world of a past generation and entranced by it, but I am not a 19th century
immigrant and my own sensibilities and humor ultimately takes the music in
another direction."  Or maybe, "I am doing my own riff on the old groove, but
out of love and respect for the masters."  Or maybe just, "I want to create
another time and place for modern ears, but the best way to do that isn't by
trying to be a tintype of my ancestors but by running it through my own
imagination."  Do I read you?

Lori in Chicago