Re: Meaning of "Klezmer"

Matt--

Respectfully, I remind you (and everyone) that I didn't make up these
categories!  They were suggested by a previous writer (if you know who you
are, identify yourself--I didn't keep hard copy of that thread). I have,
however, found them quite useful in helping presenters to define what it is
that they are looking for.  The nice thing about this division
(Preservationist/Folklore/Heritage, Contemporary, and Entertainment) is that
it stigmatizes no one and a presenter can easily respond "I think our
audiences would prefer to listen to a more contemporary sound," or "they are
real folkies and want it authentic as possible," or "they want to hear
Yiddishe Mama and Bei Mir Bistu Sheyn."  Of course, for people at the level
of sophistication of this mailing list it's hardly the final word.  But it
wasn't intended to simplify or end the discussion.

Also, I think that the categories suggest another thought (the one with which
the last thread from which it derived concerned itself):  Namely, does the
performance group try to meet the expectations of the general audience (the
one that wants to hear the old songs), or do they find that to be an obstacle
to their creativity?  Hankus' great talent, in my opinion, has been in being
able to entertain an audience (there's that pesky word again) without
sacrificing any of his artistry.

Look, even Coltrane was entertaining to the jazz aficionados of his day, but
if you tried to book him as "an entertaining jazz musician" you would not be
representing him to the general public in a way that would fulfill their
expectations.

Lori in Chicago
Genug shoyn, I'm going back to work....