RE: Meaning of "Klezmer"

That's my point exactly.  The minute you say "entertainment", there's a line
drawn in the consumer mind.  Offering up someone else's work as
"entertainment" is the same as saying "mere entertainment".

I don't respect categories and genre-orientation.  It would seem to me some
of the most groundbreaking music ever -- Carl Stalling, for instance -- was
made in the service of entertainment, and some of the least challenging --
Marilyn Manson, for instance -- posing as some kind of "art statement".

But it's not my job to think up categories by which other people's work can
be dismissed as somehow "not serious enough".

sh