Re: creepy: Hatikvah

Would somebody please look up A. Z. Idelsohn's "Jewish Music" re:
"Hatikva"'s melody?
I remember he gives a list of related melodies that have been in use
across Europe, from Eastern Europe to Spain. This includes of course
Smetana's, but goes further back. If I remember correctly, the tune
was already used for a Zionist hymn, but the words were in Yiddish
(or even in German).
Sorry for not being able to check this myself, but I am away from my
books for the next month...

Francesco
YUVAL  ITALIA     Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval