Central Asian Jewish Music

Last night, the Skirball Cultural Center sponsored a concert by Ilyas Malayev
and Ensemble
Maqam, including Lyuba Shamayeva and Tamara Kataeva, entitled "Music and Dance
of Central Asia
and the Jews of Bukhara, Uzbekistan" as the first in its Sounds of the Silk
Road 4-concert
series.  I remember hearing an NPR piece about Malayev and reading about him in
various
publications, so I was quite eager to actually see this show.  I found it quite
fascinating on
several levels.

The first was musically.  The quality of musicianship was quite high.  The
ensemble consisted of
Malayev on tar, Israel Ibragimov on robab, Matatiya Barayev on doire and Boris
Yusupov on
accordion, as well as the 2 women singing and dancing.  All of the ensemble,
with the exception
of the doire (percussion) player, also sang.

It was also interesting culturally/sociologically.  They performed a grab-bag
of material
ranging from Malayev's highly structured Shas Maqam compositions to popular
composed songs from
film scores in Farsi to arrangements of folk songs in Tajik. Even a composed
song in Armenian.
The costumes were very much in what I think of as the "Soviet folk performance"
mold - very
lush, colorful interpretations of traditional dress.   Lots of gold fabric,
brightly embroidered
velvet coats, etc. In short, a fairly slick, "pop" flavored concert, which
jibes with the
popular star status of several of the performers in Central Asia.   Yet,
because the music is so
unfamiliar, informative. Also interesting was the audience.  I am constantly
amazed at how many
different ethnic audiences can be found in LA, even though I know how
ethnically diverse the
city is, and how infrequently they overlap!  Not the usual "Jewish music crowd"
at all.

Which brings me to the question of lyrics.  I've attended several concerts
recently here in LA
where the songs were sung in non-European languages that only a minority of the
audience
understood.  Last night, there were some songs that had the Farsi-speakers
laughing hard.  A
very brief synopsis of the subject was provided before the funniest.  Most of
the songs were
performed without any attempt to provide translation or context. I wondered
what they were
about.  Not knowing anything about the lyrics makes it a different listening
experience than
that of someone who understands what is sung.  (Does this relate to the
discussion about the
Klezmatics concert in Ohio from a while back?)  If we provide lyrics and
translations in the
program, we run into a few problems: lack of performance flexibility for the
performers,
sometimes lack of good translations, more expensive programs, an audience
that's looking at
their laps and not the stage, noisy paper-rustling, etc.  I am intrigued by the
technological
solutions to this problem being explored in the opera world (i.e.supertitles,
screens on seat
backs, etc.), but there's the expense.  Also, Adrienne Cooper's solution of
incorporating
English verses into the Yiddish, or translating immediately before the song is
an interesting
response to the problem.

How do those of us who sing in Yiddish/Hebrew/Ladino, etc. in smaller than
stadium venues handle
this?

Shira Lerner