Kol Isha

There are certain beliefs which I can respect, although I do not agree with
them, and there are
others which I profoundly reject on every level, intellectual and emotional.
The utter
objectification (sorry about the feminist terminology - it fits here!) of all
women and the
extraordinarily demeaning and anti-socialized view of men underlying the
principle of kol isha
as practiced in certain portions of the orthodox Jewish community is highly
offensive.  Jews who
are kosher are forbidden to eat pork.  Does that mean that a kosher Jew who
walks by a barbecue
restaurant will be driven wild by the smell of barbecuing pork ribs and turn
into a ravenous
wild beast who will be compelled to eat pork?  Do the rabbis require the kosher
to avoid the
smell of pork, fearing their baser instincts will overwhelm their principles?
In their most
extreme manifestations, religious strictures which restrict women because men
are perceived as
(potentially) uncontrolled beasts are part of a way of looking at things which,
I believe,
engenders a frighteningly repressed society which tacitly condones certain
forms of violence to
those outside its protective folds.

>From the perspective of this list, the principle of kol isha is antithetical
>to what I perceive
to be the underlying principle of this list: an interest in and desire to learn
about and
disseminate all forms of Jewish music.  We are an inclusive bunch.  I would not
object to a list
gathering which is held at a kosher restaurant because I do not want to exclude
any members who
are kosher, even though the issue is irrelevant to me personally. The principle
of kol isha
excludes a substantial portion of this list from performing and prevents the
observant from
studying or learning about an important aspect of Jewish music.  I am
personally angry about the
lost performance opportunities for women and want to support in any way
possible the efforts
within the observant community to change this restriction.  I feel differently
about this
restriction than I would as an ethnomusicologist studying some group to which I
am not related.
I am a Jew, and I have an interest in how Jewish beliefs shape Jewish society -
all aspects of
Jewish society. Simply acquiescing to the limitations of the more vocal in a
group because we
must "respect" their beliefs is not a way to effect change.  I realize the
purpose of the
planned musical series is to publicize and create support of an ailing shul,
and controversy is
not always recognized as an effective way to gather support.  But it can be.  I
urge the
original poster (enshuldik mir, I have forgotten who it was...) to foster
discussion within the
shul on just this issue.

Shira Lerner

Shira Lerner