Re: Israeli Music Today

In a message dated 7/27/99 5:35:01 PM, zelwel (at) earthlink(dot)net writes:

<< I still think the Sephardic Israeli
music that has roots in other Mid East  music is interesting, though, but
it's not necessarily pop.
                EK >>

Unfortunately, the Mizrahi music that you are referring to is also going the
way of slick synthesizer. The difference between "LeHakat HaOud" and some of
the new things that pass for "Arab Sounding Israeli Music" (as some call it)
is as different as night & day.
This does not mean it's necessarily bad music, some of it just became so
mainstream. There are some artists however that maintain a large degree of
the "authentic" Mizrachi sound .

I don't want anyone to think that Hatikvah is so exclusive that we don't
carry the newer artists. Being in retail we have to. It's just that so few of
the new artist stay around very long, or produce anything that really sticks
out within their style of music.  Some of the most creative music can be
found in the work of such artists as "Ethinix".  On a personal note, this is
not the kind of music I listen to, but I can recognize that fact they are
very talented and unique in the things they have tried. Zehava-Ben, has kept
her "Moroccan" sound throughout her music and has been one of the most
prolific artist in the last 8 years or so.

My personal complaint with the modern music from Israel, is that it is so
Americanized. If I don't like a contemporary style of American music, why
would I want to hear it in Hebrew. You won't find American rock bands doing
Israeli Rock songs in English.

End Of Editorial