Re: schmaltz, pandering and Klezmatics

Oy, such a lot to respond to in this thread!

Whatever you may think of the Perlman production (let's face it, he picked
great bands to appear
with), it has been a smashing financial success.  Last summer, they SOLD OUT
the HOLLYWOOD BOWL
- 16,000+!  Has it made it easier for Yiddishkayt LA to get support, to turn
out large
audiences?  Well, not really, but it was still an important and good thing that
that many people
showed up.  Our summer concerts at the Ford Theater (open air ampitheater near
the Bowl) tend to
pull 1,000-1,200, irrespective of whether it's the Klezmatics or
Klezmer-mariachi.  But the
audiences do tend to be that interesting contemporary new Yiddish mix: the
bright blue-hairs and
the grey-hairs.

I think that the current "edge" klezmer will get the audience it deserves and
needs when the
mainstream press sees it as more than a purely "Jewish" phenomena. So long as
the primary venue
is a JCC and/or pubicity/advertising is carried primarily through Jewish
outlets, some
substantial portion of the audience will be there to hear Bei Mir Bist Di
Shein. Not necessarily
a bad thing, but, as has been pointed out, limiting.  Of courser, as Joe
pointed out, part of
our responsibility is to educate our audiences. If celtic bands played only to
the Irish
community, there wouldn't be so many!  I don't understand what Cesora Evara
(sp?) is singing, or
other World Music artists from Africa and the Middle East, but I still love to
hear them sing
and will go to their concerts occassionally.  The Knitting Factory has done a
great job of
publicizing "its" Jewish artists, with the result that The Tonic can now
present a different
"klezmer" band each Sunday to a varied audience.  But, when I looked at the NY
Times' critics'
1998 year-end lists of the world music they felt was needlesly overlooked, not
one had any
klezmer/new Yiddish music on their lists.

I am sad to say that we are existing in the continuum of Yiddish's historical
place: from
poverty.  Why wasn't there another "Conference of the Yiddish Language" after
Czernowitz (even
until today)?  No money.  There are many competing interests for the Jewish
community foundation
dollar.  For most, Yiddish and Yiddish music is far down the list of
priorities.   But we keep
trying, and we do get some support.

So, what does all of my jawing boil down to?  Keep on keepin' on - tell people
about the
Ashkenaz Festival, on the West Coast about Yiddishkayt LA, educate your press
contacts.  Critics
like to be educated, in most cases, rather than hustled.  Sometimes they have
to be watered and
tended, as do our community leaders/venue bookers.  If you're producing a
concert by an
"innovator group" (the list so far is illustrative - not inclusive, for sure -
no one has
mentioned BOW, for instance), work with the band to produce more explanatory
program material.
The band may kick, but push them - or write it yourself.  Our audiences,
particularly our older
audiences, read their programs - they get there plenty early, after all!  With
all that said, I
must admit that sometimes I am overwhelmed by the lack of information and
promotion for this
important world music.  So, nu...we do what we can.

Simply the number of good klezmer bands performing throughout the US is a
testament to the
vitality of this music.  We're getting the audiences, and slowly, I believe,
we're educating
them, too.  Cleveland, too, can become a hotbed of new Yiddish culture!

Shira Lerner