RE: Jewish cowboy music

I believe the line is down by the context of the situation.  It also depends
on the appropriateness of the melody.  I would not use it on a service where
we had just conducted a Yizkor service.  I would not use a song associated
with the holocaust or anti-Semitism or racism, nor generally would I use a
melody associated with another religion.  I would not use a Christmas carol
for instance.  I attended a chabad shabbat service and they were singing one
of the psalms in pesukeh d'zimrah to the tune of the Marseilles (sp?).
Devotion does not have to be devoid of humor.  The joy of shabbat can be
enhanced with prayer that is enriched by the music.  As the closing theme of
the service "Adoshem Li v'lo Ira"  is such a declaration of faith, why not
make it upbeat and "leave 'em laughing".  There is NOTHING that says you
HAVE to sing Adon Olam to anything specific.  Since it lends itself to so
many different melodies, I do use it thematically.  On the shabbat before
the fourth of July, I sing it to "It's a Grand Old Flag."  Why not tie it
in?  As for "she'll be comin round the mountain"  it just happens to be fun
and something that the congregation really enjoys.  I try not to overdo it
however, and use the "more traditional" melodies most of the time.  It makes
it more meaningful when I do "stray" off the path.
I hope this helps!

Winston Weilheimer
Lay Rabbi
Temple Israel of Deland (Florida)