RE: Jewish cowboy music

Winston:

Just to let you know the origins of ADON OLAM. It's based on one of the
Arabic meters called "Mustafilun." The reason it is named as such is
because of the Arabic meter that it emulates, i.e.: Mus-ta-fi-lun.
Mus-ta-fi-lun. or Short-long-long-long. Short-long-long-long.
(Idelsohn, Jewish Music in its Historical Development).

People may sing this hymn to whatever tune they darn well please, and if
they're praising God, I'm sure HE/SHE is darn well pleased.

But the settings that take into account the innate syllabic stress of the
hymn are -- to my ears -- far superior musically.

Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary
New York, NY 10027