Re: Holiday Music

Reyzl,

You wrote "What's wrong with "Holiday Music" [CD displays] only having
Christmas music? ...  Who cares?"  The answer, as my posts show, is that I
do.  These bins are not what they pretend to be.  They don't contain
anything but Christmas music.  Not only usually no Hanukah music, but no
Easter, Fourth of July, or Thanksgiving music either.  (The fact that there
is little, if any, music on the latter holidays is precisely the point.)
Yet it's labeled "Holiday Music" rather than "Christmas music".

It seems that I have not been sufficiently clear for you.  I don't expect to
see more Hanukah CDs in a "Holiday Music" bin.  I would much prefer a
Christmas section and a Jewish record section.  (Your claim that "Hanukah
records are produced only for Jewish children as far as I know.  Never seen
one not for children."  is surprising in light of the last week's worth of
posts.  Just review them, ask Simon, or surf over the jewishmusic.com and
check out their incomplete list of 21 titles (including about a half dozen
for adults without Jon Simon or Pianolite...).

My main point is that, in America, Christians (and many Jews) accept the
dominant Christian culture as identical to American culture so much so that
when a generic term such as "Holiday Music" is used to refer to Christmas
music, they say "Who cares?"  If only Christians were represented in public
or private positions or admitted to universities I think that we would
notice.  Yet when it's a matter of popular culture, some of us are willing
to vanish into the American wallpaper and learn more Christmas songs for
caroling than our own Hanukah songs.  (Even this minor holiday has dozens of
songs -- I have a single LP with 30 songs on it.)

As to the economics of merchandising I need no lesson in marketing.  (I'm a
business professor.)  If Hanukah records don't sell, I don't expect record
stores to display them.  (Although my sense is that they would sell better
if they were displayed better.)  I only ask that mega-stores not engage in
false and deceptive advertising that would lead the uninformed consumer to
think that if the store has tens of thousands of CDs and none for Hanukah
that's because there aren't any.  I'd be delighted with a sign that said
"Christmas Music -- Go to a Judaica store for Hanukah Music).

You wrote at length about Hanukah as a minor holiday.  Had you remembered my
post from earlier today (to which you responded) you would know that I
agree.  (I wrote there, "Even to display Hanukah recordings prominently in a
Holiday Music section elevates it (Hanukah) above the many more important
Jewish holidays and thus demeans them.")

You also wrote, "Most American Jews think that Jewish music is only a hora,
so is that the record store owners [sic] fault?"  My answer is yes -- if
they falsely represent that they are selling "Holiday Music" when they are
just selling Christmas music.

Perhaps the difference between our perspectives is that I've lived in New
York City nearly all my life.  I can walk into West Side Judaica (or read
Simon's posts or surf over to JewishMusic.com or look at my own record
library) and find hundreds of Jewish Music records (including dozens on the
holidays).  I am aware of the persistent attempts of the dominant Christian
culture in the States (whether intended or accidental) to make everyone
believe that it is the only thing that matters; that there is no significant
Jewish culture beyond bagels (which anyone can eat) and the "Old Testament"
(which has been supplemented, if not replaced, by the "New Testament").  The
results are so pervasive that even identifying Jews barely notice the signs.
Sometimes the signs are subtle -- terms that tell a tale. "Holiday Music" is
one example.  ("Judeo-Christian tradition" is another.)  I wonder if our
members from other countries feel the same way.  Are we all accustomed
(except, perhaps, Israelis and those in predominantly Jewish areas) to being
the minority, for whom Judaism, including Jewish music, is a private matter.
That there is no Jewish music worth displaying.

Thanks for responding to my thoughts and good luck with your work.

Bob