RE: FW: [2ND-GEN:7773] Re: Perry Como

Ilana,

I was not asking about music that is "culturally "mainstream" -- that is,
implicitly set in a Christian culture", but rather "explicitly Christian
works".   I know one very Jewish but atheistic Jew who voluntarily annually
performs Handel's "Messiah" in Lincoln Center and loves the experience.   I
don't know what language the Messiah is sung or if he would have loved the
experience the same if the setting were in a church.  Since this person is also
a Jewish-music subscriber, s/he will speak up.  I also don't know how one
constructs the inner filter when the music's meaning loses it's opacity.   The
filters must be different when one is being paid for singing explicitly
Christian music in a church.   How did the churchgoers feel about a Jew being
the paid soprano soloist who is supposed to religiously inspire them?   I guess
it's the same question I would have for Reform temples who hire non-Jews to
sing in their choirs.   I would especially love to hear the explanations the
Reform Temple in the South gave 3 years ago for the fact that they hired the
local priest for well over a year to be their chazzan because he was the only
person in their local area who knew enough Hebrew, = their official
explanation.  (The priest performed in church on Sunday mornings and in the
Temple on Friday nights.)   When word got out about this very strange
arrangement, the Reform officialdom forced them to fire this priest and "find
some other arrangement".

Reyzl