Re: FW: [2ND-GEN:7773] Re: Perry Como

--On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 7:17 AM -0500 Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky
<reyzl (at) flash(dot)net> wrote:

> Anyone else feel this way about any rendition of
> Christmas or Christian music?   Or is this something that only
> opera lovers can feel?

I don't think you have to be an opera lover :-)

My foray into Christian music this time of year is going to the Handel and
Hayden Society's annual concert of "Messiah". This is such a wonderful
work. I must admit that each summer when we read the haftorahs of
consolation and we come to "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people", I can't get
Handel out of my head.

A few years ago there was a Boston-area group Jubal's Lyre that put on a
series of concerts around the time of the major festivals. One year they
performed some of Billings' settings of the Song of Songs. At Pesach that
year the leader of Jubal's Lyre (who is a member of my minyan) sang some of
those settings when we chanted Song of Songs (because we didn't have quite
enough people to chant the entire book). It was kind of interesting to have
the mix of traditional chanting and Christian music.

Penny

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->