Re: FW: [2ND-GEN:7773] Re: Perry Como

Great art transcends all religious and ethnic boundaries. I hear the
fervent prayers to the same God in Bach's B minor Mass and St. Matthew
Passion as in Jossele Rosenblatt's Sh'ma Koleynu.

I've conducted choirs in both synagogues and churches and have to say
people pray to the same God -- the One that will give them healthy
children and a modicum of dignity and security in their own lives.

As Jacob said: Surely God is in this place and I did not know it.

Happy Hannukah to all,

Eliott Kahn

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky wrote:

> This letter was posted on a mailing list of children of Holocaust
> survivors.   I thought it would be interesting for this mailing list.
> I have removed all identifying markers of personal names so that we
> can respond only to the content therein.  Just to orient people: the
> person writing the letter beginning with "a propos Perry Como" is
> an Orthodox Dutch Jew married to an American and now living in Israel.
> I thought you would enjoy the incongruity of these scenes.
>
> As for me I have had for the last five years or so made sure not
> to miss Luciano Pavarotti's annually telecast PBS Christmas show
> (including the annual multiple re-telecasting on every PBS cable
> channel) because I love how he sings every single Christmas song,
> including "Silent Night".  I have never been able to bear hearing
> this song from anyone else [I went to the frumest girls Yeshiva
> girl in Brooklyn and I basically deaden myself to the December
> theme], but the die-hard Luciano fan that I am, listening to
> Luciano sing it, sing actually just about anything, raises me
> several feet off the ground every year.  It plays in my ears for
> months after the December season which brings ethereal joy to my
> heart, but it of course has nothing to do the meaning or symbol of
> any of the songs.   I guess this Montreal concert had to have been
> extraordinary since they repeat the show every year for so many years.
> The fact that he sings the Latin version of "Silent Night" whose
> words are opaque to me I guess helps me block out all content in the
> song.   Didn't see it this year though but I have been too busy to
> watch any TV.   Anyone else feel this way about any rendition of
> Christmas or Christian music?   Or is this something that only
> opera lovers can feel?   I don't think that the fact that my husband,
> Josh Waletzky, directed a film with Luciano in the late 1980's for
> PBS (called "Luciano Pavarotti and the Tradition of the Italian
> Tenor"), is a factor in any of this (I was already a die-hard fan
> by then), but have others here had the same reaction to this singer
> or that Christmas show?
>
> BTW, the thread below started with the discussion of Jewish
> superstitious beliefs, such as licking a child's eyelids of kids
> who awoke from a nightmare.
>
> Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky
>

> --------------------------FORWARD---------------------------
> >
> > And speaking of Perry Como...
> >
> > In my house growing up, somehow my mother never saw anything
> incongruous in
> > the fact that she could lick our eyelids when we kids had terrible
> nightmares
> > (see previous post on this subject) and chant a Yiddish ditty that
> all our bad
> > thoughts and ills should be transferred to the "goyem's kep" AND
> the fact that
> > we never, ever missed a Perry Como Christmas or Easter special.
> Come to think
> [...]

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->