Re: Perry Como

>Great art transcends all religious and ethnic boundaries. I hear the
>fervent prayers to the same God in Bach's B minor Mass and St. Matthew
>Passion as in Jossele Rosenblatt's Sh'ma Koleynu.

There is no doubt that that great art transcends all religious and ethnic
boundaries.  There is also no doubt that the fervor in Sh'ma Koleynu, St.
Matthew Passion. and Bach's B minor Mass come from the same exact human source
in the human soul.   That was too obvious to mention.  But I was asking a
different question and a more personal one.   I was asking what Christian music
moves Jews here?   I suppose that I am asking about esthetic fervor rather than
religious fervor, because I don't believe that anyone referred to in my post
below is getting religiously fervent when listening to either Perry Como or
Luciano.   So I guess I am asking what explicitly Christian music moves people
in that esthetic fervent way.  Come to think of it, a second question is, what
explicit Christian music moves Jews here in a religious way?  And Elliot, since
you conduct Jewish and Christian choirs, do Bach's B minor Mass and Sh'ma
Koleynu inspire you spiritually equally as a Jew?     As for me, as I once
tried to explain to Owen, I don't quite know what it is about Celtic music, but
no matter what the tune is, traditional Celtic music always, always goes right
to my soul in a way that no klezmer music ever has.   But a nigun, well, that's
already a whole other kettle of fish for me.

Marvin Margoshes wrote:
>The music of the Bach mass is magnificent, especially as I heard it done by
>the Boston Symphony this Fall.  However, the words are anti-Semitic.

I don't know the words to this music, and have no idea if the statement is true
or not.   Let's say that it is, how do you Elliot deal with that?    When we
read Dostoyevsky, knowing that he was an anti-Semite is totally irrelevant to
reading Dostoyevsky's great works, but singing or conducting music that is
anti-Semitic may be something else.   What I want to know is how do you
construct your filter?

Reyzl