RE: Re[2]: FW: [2ND-GEN:7773] Re: Perry Como

>My own expereicne and the confidential confessions of others has confirmed
>that
>many of us are stirred by sacred/liturgical music of all stripes....

>By analogy, one can like the
>MELODIES and not the lyrics to a lot of Christian favorites (Schubert's Ave
>Maria comes to mind).

Yes, I meant the song "Ave Maria" not "Silent Night", but only when Luciano
sings it.   It's totally flat or awful if anyone else sings it, no matter how
sonorous the voice.   But when he sings it, it's just magical.    So, I guess
it isn't just the melody itself, in my case.

>Lewandowski's vuv'tseil kenofecha has a bar or 2 that is an unmistakable
>adaptation of Silent Night's "Holy infant ..." phrase.

You should hear Jack Gottlieb's lecture on this.   He takes Jewish music and
shows elements from classical musicians and then does the reverse with
non-Jewish music.   Is it one influencing the other or just an accident?
One's response is quite often "he's gotta be right", but who really knows.
There are some winning combinations in the phrasing of Western music.

Reyzl