Re: Itsy Bitsy Spider and other Liturgucal Themes

I'm not sure of your source on this one.  My understanding is that Smetana
consciously used the patriotic Ma Vlast as a backdrop to his poem Hativkav
becasue of the nationalistic urgin for idnependencs that was common to both jews
and 19th cnetury Bohemians.

Also, I grew up in hartford where in the ONLY Jewish radio sho was hosted by the
late Canotr Arthur Koret OH.  His theme song was Die Moldau.  I'll never shake
those haunting strains out of my memory, we heard them EVERY Sunday morning
growing up with our lox and bagels. My understanding was that he picked that
piece becasue of its relationship to haTikvah although I never asked him.

Also, in my college music appreciation class, I brought in 3 records of my
favorite "classical" music and Die Moldau was one.  This had a lot more to do
with Cantor Koret's show, but the (non-Jewish) instructor playfully accsued me
of picking it because of its connection to haTikvah.  (I still don't know how he
knew about that connection).

I haven't heard the official explanation from Imber, but everything I have heard
suggests a very strong connection between haTivkah and Die Moldau... (and I
persoanlly have no problem with it.  Look, the godd old USA chose To Anacreon in
Heaven!)

Rich Wolpoe,
Just another lover of romantic music...