Re: Itsy Bitsy Spider and other Liturgucal Themes

I believe that the late Irving Berlin used to say that all the world's
melodies can be distilled down to just 6!  I don't take that literally, but
let's face it, some fairly pedestrian folk songs have become themes for
great symphonic works.

        I do believe that the mode, melody, etc should be appropriate.
There are gazillions of variations on the Kol Nidre melody, but nearly all
share that famous haunting mode in common.

        And Oleinu at the end of the service (as opposed to the High
Holiday Musaph Oleinu) has traditionall y sung (at least by ashkenazim) in
major mode.  The first part somewhat solemnly, then the bright itsy bitsy
part.  Finally the traditional folksy closing of veneemar. All 3 in major
mode.

        I once heard a lecturer claim that various folk melodies were
adapted to the opera, for popular music, for symphonic music and for
litrugical music.  So itsy bitsy and sheu noteh may not be parent and
child, but might be cousins descnded form a common ancestor (the missing
link???)

        Smetana's Die Moldau was the source for the Hatikvo.  However, the
opening theme melody actually predates Smetana!  And Copeland's Appalachian
Spring is descended from the Shaker Hymn: 'Tis the Gift to Be Simple, but
I'll be willing to bet that hymn has earlier roots, too

Rich Wolpoe