Re: sher questions

Just to chime in a little here as well. I know when Steve led the sher for
KlezKamp last December - and indeed, he was trying to do the WC sher - he only
asked for the sher that began D, FFFFFF GFGA F; I'm sure all know the one...
And my point here is that he wanted the "refrain" to always be there for a
certain step, I believe the promenade part of it. So was Steve only trying to
make
things simple for the morning musicians playing so that they wouldn't have to
play different sections? Clearly we al knew what a square phrase was so we
could have done other shers that were square, making for more sections. Hmmmmm.
Steve, I'm sure, will write back when he returns.

For fun this past weekend, I led a sher made up of steps learned, but perhaps
not in the right sequence or even exactly right. But it worked and I had 3
circles successful doing it. I did worry that I was creating a sher (um, call
it
the CT SHER?) but we were all having too much fun. The 3 sections of the tune
were made up of bowing, dancing with the partner and then with each
right-hand person of the other partners, then finishing by dancing with your
partner
again (and everyone else doing so as well.) This was sort of a combination of
what Michael Alpert taught us at KlezKanada last summer. So then for the 3rd
section we promenaded.   We felt we were really doing something pretty cool,
almost right, and it fit the music perfectly. Hope I didn't offend the
tradition
cuz we had way too much fun :-) Maybe Steve will write to me off-list and scold
me :-) But at least we ended with threading the needle and that I KNOW is
kosher!

Adrianne

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->