  From: Helen Winkler
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 7:52 AM
  Subject: RE: sher questions

    The problem that I see emerging with trying to revive the sher and bring it
back into the community, is that there aren't that many opportunities for the
average person to dance a sher. The only place that I've been able to bring the
dance to on a regular basis (i.e., weekly for a season of dancing), has been at
my recreational folk dance group in Calgary (I haven't taught it in Toronto
yet).  In the setting of a recreational dance evening, people really don't want
to do a dance that last 30 minutes, every week.  They're just not in the mood
for that and are accustomed to doing dozens of 3 minute dances in a typical
evening,(usual a lot of Balkan stuff).  So, in that setting, I've stuck with
the abbreviated sher that a friend of mine (Teme Kernerman) arranged, and then
have embellished it with the shine.  It goes for about 7 minutes

    I'm not exactly sure, outside of the setting of recreational folk dance
groups, how to kick start the Yiddish dances and bring them back out to the
general community, on a regular basis, rather than just to dance enthusiasts,
or at occasional music/dance festivals.  Any ideas?

    Helen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->