Re: Performance insurance

I had this asked of our band a few years ago and have since carried liability
insurance. I think I ended up paying $500 per year for $250K liability. There
are times that the band is the only possible entity at fault. One time, a
waitress, while we were all setting up, walked by our speaker just when we had
major feedback noise/pop. She covered her ears so fast and was actually in
pain for a long while. I was so relieved she didn't end up asking for our card.
It would have been clearly our fault as no other noise came from anywhere else.
She happened to be right up near the speaker, we hadn't raised it fully and
it wasn't a normal sound. So bottom line there ARE times when it feels right
and good to have insurance.   I did argue with a venue when I didn't have
insurance and I was only bringing classical musicians with no amplification. I
simply said "I'm sorry but there's nothing we're doing or bringing that's any
different from your guests. If they trip and fall it's not because we have
equipment. No different from tripping over another person at the party." They
left it
off the contract. But soon after I got it for band purposes.
I think of that band in the Rhode Island situation with the bad fire. The
band claimed they didn't use fire, ended up using fire. It's just best to be up
front all around....

Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
www.klezmerflute.com & www.klezband.com
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->