Re: Klez Kamp 2004, music and Yiddish

Well, here's my account of my very first KlezKamp. I have played flute
(classical-type) for fifty years, and for the last several years in a
small, very amateur klezmer band. About three years ago our band got a new
member who had been to KlezKamp once, and who started educating the rest of
us. Then about a month or so ago, Frank and Lorin did a two-man concert at
the Workmen's Circle in Brookline: first half concert (fantastic!) and
second half a jam for anyone who wanted to join in. AT the end of it, my
wife (violin) said "Let's go to KlezKamp this year!", and we did.

My day started with a theory/background/history semi-lecture course on
Klezmer Dissonance by Josh Horowitz, who gave us a many-page textbook of
musical examples. He discussed and played many examples on his 19th century
Budowitz "button accordion" (buttons on the right-hand side, where they
usually have piano-type keyboards), and had us play many on our
instruments. This mix of doing and talking and listening was a great
preparation for the rest of the day.

My second morning class was with Modern Repertory with Susan Watts (one
super trumpeter). She gave us a ton of recently-written klezmer music to
take home, had us play several as a sample, and then we picked two to work
up for the Sunday night student concert. By the time we picked them, half
the week was gone, and we had little time left to try to figure a workable
blocking for them. After trying a bunch of things, we finally came up with
a scheme that seemed both exciting and workable. Sunday evening we had a
disastrous last run through, but at the performance it all came together,
thanks to Susan and our two fine singers, Miriam and Cathy.

First afternoon class was Adrianne Greenbaum's flute class, which was also
great. She started about six of us back on day one of playing a flute:
trying to get a decent embouchure and sound. We moved on to ornamenting a
nign, and then ornamenting and working up a piece that each of us was
working on. She also made available the music from her terrific CD
("Fleytmusik"), as well as a CD of performances by the old klezmer master
flutists. She is a great teacher and performer.

By midafternoon, my left-brain had stopped operating for the day, which was
ok, because Frank London's "Funky Side" band was totally right-brained and
experiencial. Frank=energy, in all forms, and he helped us find the energy
in doing improvisations and experiments to simple tunes he would paly for
us. No written music at all. We got to experience the relationships between
rhythm and harmony and melody as well as the many possibilities of "mixing
and matching" all sorts of stuff. The semi-improvised thing (it wasn't
really a piece, even though there was a simple tune embedded in parts of
it) that we did at the student concert was essentially put together from
modules we had worked up that very afternoon (rhythm bits, harmony bits,
chunks of melody from the song: parts A, B, and C, a funky "Intro" we had
worked up earlier, and riffs for rhythm, fiddles, trombone plus sax, tsimbl
plus flutes, flutes with clarinets, accordions, and a couple of solo
riffs). At the concert, we put them together in whatever order Frank
signalled to us. Nobody, not even Frank, had any idea what order we were
going to do anything. I don't know what it may have sounded like to an
audience, but to us in the band it was truly exhilarating.

The people we met were great. And even the food was -- how should I put it
-- perfectly useful for me, since I am trying to lose weight. It was easy
to avoid anything fattening, because it didn't have much flavor. The rather
bland gefilte fish, the veggie soups, the dessert cakes, and even the
pretty timid horseradish all were pretty indistinguishable. But there was
plenty of solid nutrition (chicken, brisket, salad bar, etc.)

Any of you who haven't ever done KlezKamp should do so ASAP. It is great. I
suspecty the Yiddish program is just as great, but I can'e speak to that.

Happy (secular) New Year to all!

Eric Myrvaagnes (flute)