Re: information about the term feygele

Batya wrote:

> 1) What is the source of the song "Zing, feygele, zing"?

It's a Yiddish version (apparently by Max Kletter) of the Russian song
"Poi, lastochka, poi" (Sing, Swallow, Sing), first published in Moscow
in 1905 with words by K. Linskii and music by Sadovskii.

> 3) I've heard that "goldene pave" symbolizes Jewish folklore. Is this
> true, and if so, why? What's the source?

Short answer (from Chane Mlotek in her _Mir trogn a gezang_, p. 106):
"The golden peacock became the poetic symbol of the Yiddish folk song,
carrying messages and greetings from loved ones.  The theme was adopted
by such modern Yiddish writers as M. L. Halpern, Itsik Manger and
others."  (The others include Anna Margolin, whose text was recorded,
e.g., by Chava Alberstein and The Klezmatics.)  The comments are in
connection with a folk song called "Di goldene pave," which is about a
young bride sending a message to her parents about being mistreated by
her new in-laws.  The song was first published in Ginzburg and Marek's
1901 collection, _Evreiskie narodnye pesni v Rossii_ (Jewish Folksongs
in Russia).  Despite what you may read on various websites, the
collection was not called _Di goldene pave_.

Bob Rothstein

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->