RE: Famous Musicians of Jewish Origins

Dear Ms. Edelman,

In a message dated 10/8/03 2:48:22 PM, medelman (at) gratz(dot)edu writes:

>You're both right.  The title was originally "Famous Musicians of a
>
>Wandering Race" but it was changed to "Famous Musicians of Jewish Origin"
>in
>
>the 1949 reprint.  The Gratz library has both.
>

>Marsha Bryan Edelman

I don't have a copy of the earlier version, so I will take you at your word.
But I question your conclusion, because the copyright notice in the 1949
edition gives no listing of any earlier edition(s). The introduction to the
book by
Saleski is dated July, 1949. It certainly is not merely a reprint of a 1927
edition, as you would find a listing for Leonard Bernstein which includes
information up to April 8, 1949--the premiere of his second symphony. Also the
later chapter indicating post-1948 origins is entitled "Israeli Musicians."

So now I am curious. Are both books the same or not?

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett
Composer/Arranger/Producer