Re: Famous Musicians of Jewish Origins

Dear Laoise:
Of course there is the "Great Jews in music"  by Darryl Lyman, 1986, but
it's somewhat outdated.

I have some materials available on my biographies pages and also Jewish
women section of my website, mainly individuals in the US/Canada:

http://www.jmwc.org/jmwc_women.html
http://www.jmwc.org/jmwc_biography.html

Additionally, there is an excellent book
Twenty Israeli composers :  voices of a culture by Robert Fleisher; foreword
by Shulamit Ran. 1997.
That has interviews with many classical Israeli composers.

The archive of Israeli music lists musicians and has some brief biographical
info.
http://www.tau.ac.il/~musarch/list.html

Israel Music Institute has lists of musicians devoted to classical music as
well .
http://www.imi.org.il/

In terms of the Israeli Philharmonic, there is an excellend site devoted to
Bronislaw Huberman that I featured on my website for January, 2003:
http://www.jmwc.org/jmwc_feature.html
here's Patrick Harris's site:
http://pl.net/~holsem/huberman/huberman.htm

The Israel Philharmonic has an orchestra history, but you need some software
I don't have to see it, so I haven't yet.
http://www.ipo.co.il/history/timeline.asp

Yours,
Judy