Re: flute vibrato

> Naftule Brandwein did some finger vibrato on clarinet - you can hear it on
> the B section of "firn di mekhetonim aheym." - although my guess is he did
> it by manipulating a key (with his finger).
>

> Thank you; that's THE one very clear example I couldn't remember at the time
> of yesterday's posting :-)
> adrianne

Agreed.
Yes, Dena, that's clearly a key vibrato, he is most probably using the c key
with his right pink. (I just tried it on a 1920s Albert C clarinet, it works
very nicely). It's almost in between playing a trill with that key and
shaking your instrument, so that you get a very fast hyper lip vibrato.
(Don't do it on stage. It looks ridiculous. Maybe *that's* why Brandwein
turned his back to the audience.)

Interestingly enough, he uses a key vibrato/shake that has little to no
noticeable effect on the pitch, very different from kaval finger vibrato or
microtonal effects.

I'm still interested in more examples!
Was it really part of his style?

Christian Dawid