Re: flute vibrato

In a message dated 8/29/03 9:17:12 AM, cer7q (at)
cms(dot)mail(dot)virginia(dot)edu writes:

> OK enough for one post. Adrienne, I would love to hear how
> Boxwood (Wooden flute camp) went and what the interests
> were, in this group or privately. Sorry I couldn't make it,
> keep us posted of other workshops you will be doing.

 Good comments, by the way, as to our need to relate to Kval techniques as
well, what traditions peope were in touch with. Anyway, just briefly about
Boxwood (in Nova Scotia every summer) , since it was indeed monumental to have
Klezmer brought to a camp that specializes in Irish traditions. It was indeed
incredibly gratifying to be invited to teach there, to teach students, advanced
and beginner, music that they had never experienced, heard of, thought of. They
learned modes easily and just kept coming back for more tunes. I wish there
were more seminars/camps that did this including various folk musics. I know
there are fiddles that include klezmer in traditional fiddling camps. Anyway,
thanks for asking. I thought for sure that, by being with two of the finest
Irish
flutists in the world, Desi Wilkinson and Hammy Hamilton, I'd find out what
klezmer tunes were being played in Ireland. Nadda. Nothin'. Desi only wanted
ours! I said "Come on, what do you hear at irish simchas?! " He couldn't tell
me, although he'd been to plenty. Boo.

Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->