Re: flute vibrato

Always happy to chime in on flute in Klezmer especially so
Adrienne isn't talking to herself!  Bearing in mind that we
are truly speculating and inferring from pictures, limited
references, related instrumental stylings and uses in
Klezmer and related flutes and style from aother
traditions...! The contiguous "oral" tradition of Klezmer
flute seemingly "lost".
        I am having some success, meaning the band members and
public tolerate and even enjoy my forays into our Klez band
at the University of Virginia (Simchah!) on simple system
flute, as learned originally for Irish music and also
dabbling in "period" classical music. (What this means for
a KEYED simple system flute is anothe whole discussion...)
It makes some sense to me to draw a bit on the sounds of
the Kavval, Ney and Greek equivalents when playing the more
"oriental" sounding pieces.  This is obviously not an
original idea as such greats as Matt Darriaux et al have
recorded in this style, often with the ethnic instruments.
The ability of the simple system wooden flutes to slide and
partly overblow lends themselves to this type of
expression. I have heard other Klez players and listners
comment that a silver flute played in a classical style
sound jarring to their ears in contrast to the rounder
clarinet and violin sounds. I PERSONALLY don't like much
classical vibrato in klezmer or other folkish traditions.
That is of course just taste.
         In addition to an occaisional lead on flute (I also play
mandolin/banjo) the flute can make for some nice "fills"
used sparingly. An occasional change of pace is to use a
piccolo or facile skill with the high registers to do
battle with the clarinet or brass in the stratosphere, but
a little of this  goes a long way!
OK enough for one post. Adrienne, I would love to hear how
Boxwood (Wooden flute camp) went and what the interests
were, in this group or privately. Sorry I couldn't make it,
keep us posted of other workshops you will be doing.
Colin Ramirez

--On Thursday, August 28, 2003 3:40 PM -0400