-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Lori Cahan-Simon
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 11:20 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Kol Isha

I've stayed out of this for a while, but I need to respond here.
 Sylvia, you are an amazingly clear and articulate writer and I thank
you for your words.

Avi, the event planner, believe it or not, was a woman who imposed HER
will on the rest of the stunned committee.  She is a woman you can not
argue with because she talks over anyone else and is not a good
listener.  I found this out when I tried to speak with her to calmly
express my disappointment with her decision.  I have just found out this
evening that she apparently had consulted her rabbi about this event,
without speaking to anyone else on the committee beforehand, and
promised him there would be no female singing voices.  This being the
case, the rest of the committee felt there was no way to change this
unexpected promise.  Many in the planning group had never even heard of
Kol Isha before this.  Perhaps the biggest factor is that she was
putting up most of the money for the event and was to donate 80% of the
proceeds to the Israel Hunger Centers, so the squeaky wheel was greased.

As an upshot of this, it was informally decided that publicity about our
group will state the fact that there is a female vocalist so that we can
avoid messes like this in the future.

A farshlepte krenk, IMHO
Lorele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me