bernstein

Lenny was quite committed to Jewish values and life (in spite of his own
actions).  He taught his children Talmud and Torah.  Mass was an indictment
of centralized, organized religion and its frequent ability to be perverted.
His in one piece, "And It Was Good":

God made us the boss
God gave us the cross
We turned it into the sword
To spread the word of the lord
We took his holy decrees
To do whatever we please-
and it was good!

Contrasted with the personal and beautiful "Simple Song"
which truly is a Jewish tune in the midst of a mass

"Blessed is the man who loves the Lord
Blessed is the man who praise him, luada laude.
For the lord is my shade, is the shade upon my right hand.
And he sun shall not smite me by day, nor the moon at night..."

Does this psalm sound familar?

I always sensed that his utopian yearnings were also a product of his Jewish
experiences, a notion of finding HaOlam Haba here on earth.  If you scan the
themes as they progress throughout his composition career, what begins as a
simple vision of perfection of the world progresses to an understanding that
this world must be lived in as best as possible, with all its faults.  Scan
the differences between the hope of  Somewhere (West Side) and Make our
Garden Grow (Cadide) and even I Don't Understand (5 Childrens Songs).   Makes
for interesting consideration.

Regards,

Adam Davis, Director
Kfar Jewish Arts Center
773.550.1543

Kfar Jewish Arts Center is an inclusive arts incubator that serves to
stimulate, promote and produce the next generation of Jewish expression.
Hebrew for village, Kfar is an artistic community of local actors, musicians
and artists.  Visit our Kfar at  <A
HREF="http://www.kfarcenter.com";>www.kfarcenter.com</A>.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->