Re:Kol Isha Redux

Dear Listers,

I promised myself  I was done with this issue. But here I go again. Moshe
Berlin's account of how the Orthodox can handle a world in which Kol Isha is
a given is very interesting.

But that's not where the difficulty lies. When I enter a frum home (and I
do) or a synagogue of the Orthodox and even Naturei Karta persuasion, I
readily accept and accommodate myself to their parameters. If I find it too
difficult I can avoid the situation by not going there. Simple.

The trouble comes when the two worlds share one platform, venue or
performance situation. And there the pressure to "be sensitive" always
weighs in favor of the Orthodox. I attended a wedding recently in which the
Kol Chayyim orchestra played. The bride's family and friends were a mix of
modern and even secular. The groom's family were Iranian black hats. A sort
of "compromise" had been reached. No female vocalist. A fence between men
and women for separate dancing with the understanding that after the black
hats had their coffee and dessert and departed, mixed dancing (including for
bride and groom) could commence.  After all is said and done, the wedding
which lasted from 7 until about 10:30 afforded maybe 1/2 hour to 45 minutes
in which the non-frum could relax and feel comfortable. I do not consider
this a fair and equitable compromise, since the sensibilities of the
non-frum received very little weight.

We will never persuade the frum to relax their stand on Kol Isha. But in
mixed situations, the sensibilities of the rest of us (and we are the
MAJORITY!!) need to be given equal consideration.

In planning the September IAYC conference, we provided for sensitve kosher
accommodations plus Saturday morning services with separated screened areas
for men and women for our frum participants -- but our performance and
workshop schedule does NOT accommodate Kol Isha. A schedule will be provided
and participants will be able to make their own decisions. We want everyone
to be comfortable.

Lorele sings at our opening keynote festivities - Steven Greenman will
accompany her on his magic violin.. At our Saturday night concert we have a
band with a female vocalist -  Charm City Klezmer, `( Judith Geller,
keyboard/vocals) plus a klezmer duo - the Fish Street Klezmer with Shira
Shazeer and Ken Richmond of Klezmaniacs fame (they both sing) and then, our
wonderful world-class charismatic khazn Avi Albrecht will come on and sing
Yiddish songs.

Performers and planners need to bring as much sensibility to bear on the
needs of the majority as they do on those of a very vocal and inflexible
minority. This goes beyond feminism - it is only simple human courtesy. AND
YOU KNOW WHAT, THAT'S A MITZVAH IN IN ANYONE'S BOOK.

Sylvia Schildt
Baltmore, Maryland