Re: Women-only concerts (Kol Isha)

I want to add that a women group named Bat_Kol is also active in Israel. The
leader is my ex-student and my daughter is also performing there. They
perform on keyboard, clarinet, trumpet, and drums, and if it's needed they
add also a voice.
The idea begun when I was seeking for a solution on playing for weddings
with separate halls for men and women. The solutions were either
1) to transfer the music from the hall where the band perform via
loudspeakers to the second hall (where the band is not performing) or
2) to take 2 bands, one to each hall. In this case the band has to perform
behind a curtain when the women were dancing. (I remember that when I
performed in such cases I saw only the head of the dancers, which allowed me
to guide the dancing).
The failure of the first case is when there is no correlation between the
halls e.g when the women want to dance in the time the men want to hear the
Rabbi's speech or vice versa
The solution of taking a women-band for the girls is the best one but it is
not so spread (maybe because they feel better when the band is male-band, or
because they want to hear the performance as they are recorded on the CDs
where the performers , especially the singers are male). Anyway the idea
that a women-band can perform as well as men, is getting more and more
acceleration. (especially in bat Mitzvah)

Moshe (Moussa) Berlin