Re: encoding accents

>If I have a chance I may edit the text. Can anyone tell me an easy way to
>enter accented vowels in basic ASCII that would be legible to anyone
>reading the above URL, so that I don't make matters worse?  (Ari?)

Strictly speaking, ASCII defines NO accents, so no accented vowels (hence
_American_ Standard for Computer (Coded?) Information Interchange).

For the last decade, most computers built for the US market have used a
character set twice the size of ASCII, which includes accents and accented
characters for most Western European languages (known in the trade as "Latin
1").

Latin 1 includes Western European accents ranging from the Icelandic thorn to
the common e-acute in French or Spanish enye. Hungarian, as it happens, along
with Polish, Croatian, Czech, requires accents and characters in Latin 2. (We
won't approach the behind-the-scenes mess that is required to use Vietnamese
and its double and triple accents here)

For your purposes, there are three solutions, from the simple to the
technically elegant:

1. Do as you suggested later in the original message--use YIVO-like
transliteration. This has the advantage of making pronunciation sense to
readers more familiar with Yiddish than with Hungarian.

2. If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and using Microsoft Word, you
can install the Hungarian language pack--it's free--and then sending the
resultant Word document to someone else who has Word. This is relatively
simple, if technically limiting.

3. If you want to put the results on the web, and don't want to transliterate
(or want the actual Hungarian text in addition to transliteration) then you use
Unicode. This leads to a host of issues, all of which will be resolved someday
when everyone and all browsers use Unicode (hah! as if nothing else will come
up by then). For an introduction to the problems, see
http://accurapid.com/journal/10intlweb.htm . (For the record, I hope to migrate
the KlezmerShack to Unicode, or at least to a Hebrew/Yiddish-useful codepage in
the next few months. But that's not Hungarian.)

Hope this helps, or at least doesn't depress ;-)
ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/