Re: greetings- off topic, but current, more

Your point on the relationship between the words Chagigah and Chag is
interesting.  But 2 things:
1.    I'd think Hagigah derives from Hag, rather than vice versa.  (Was the
former word used in Tnach or just Talmud -- if the latter, then definitely
derived).   Of course Purim and Hanukah didn't have Hagigot since they were
not Torah derived.
         Your Chagigah point carries more force in contrasting RH and YK--
which were Torah based.  Not just for that reason, I think, but generally
only the 3 Regalim were "Chagim" (among the biblical ones, at least), and
not RH and YK.
2.    More important to this discussion is the actual customs/usage (many
things come miles from their origins).    I think Hanukah is prevalently
called a Chag (which makes sense since it started as a belated Sukkot --
whence the 8 days and the Hallel-- see EJ, I think, and other
sources).   Purim is also generally referred to as a Chag, I think.   An
argument can be made for Atzmaut -- being new, this can't be definitive,
but find out what most people (esp in Israel) do.   By contrast, people
don't call RH or YK Chagim.
         Of course, you are all correct in not taking offense or correcting
people who say chag sameach to any of these (as opposed to Tisha B'Av,
which someone who really didn't understand that day, once said.  ;-?  )
         This being the 13th of Tishri, I'm on safe ground in wishing you a
         Chag Sameach,
         Jonathan