  From: Lori Cahan-Simon
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 8:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Lady Cantors

  Hi Tsipele,

  My dad told me about Sheindele (as it is spelled on the LP I have).  She was
indeed popular in the Philly area.  People used to jam the Steel Pier in
Etclentic Ceetee (Atlantic City), NJ to hear her, and my dad's grandmother used
to listen to her on the radio all the time.  Her album is divine and I think
she's much more interesting than Bas Sheva.

  Lorele

  Sylvia Schildt wrote:

Henekh ....When I was a kid in Brooklyn there was also a much-advertised
Sheyndele diKhaznte - if memory serves, she was daughter or kin to Moyshe
Koussevitzky.They even displayed posters of her (and sometimes the pair) in the
StraussStreet Shul - a khor shul - in Brownsville.I don't think they were too
strict about Kol Isha  - audiences were men andwomen.  This Kol Isha thing is
soooo "nouveau frum."Sylvia Schildton 7/24/02 3:29 PM, Sapoznik (at)