Lady Cantors

I am currently researching women who sang cantorial repertoire, or played
klezmer music, before it was possible to do so professionally.

I think you mean "before it was possible to do so in a synagogue". These
"Lady Cantors" (as they were called)  were quite professional being on record
for years (as my reissue of Sophie Kurtzer's 1923 Pathe disc on "Mysteries of
the Sabbath" illustrates). Lady cantors were also staples of the air on major
city Jewish radio shows. Some, like Freidele Oysher  (sister of Moishe
Oysher) who performed on WEVD as "Friedele di Chazente" was as big a star as
one could be, male or female.
Also women klezmorim were also very much professional such as pianists Sylvia
Schwartz, Beverly Musiker and Dora Cherniavsky playing on klezmer bandstands
as early as 1917.

Henry Sapoznik
Producer
Yiddish Radio Project