Re: what's the size of your klez?

MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
In a message dated 8/6/2001 8:15:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
amrocks (at) optushome(dot)com(dot)au writes:

we aint got one klezmer group
bigger than yours in all of Australia.

Lionel--
Pardon my ignorance, but have you got a klezmer band at all?  Or do The
Wiggles just don Chassidic garb?
Lori

Lori--

The Wiggles could never don Chassidic garb, unless they broke with traditional dress code and at least wore the mandatory wiggles yellow, red, blue and purple socks or shtraymls so the kids could recognise who was Murray, Jeff, Anthony and Greg.  Further, "Wiggles" spoken with a deep classic yiddish accent could be mistaken for the yiddish word for cribs or bassinettes.  Mind you this gives new ground to the common Wiggles phrase "WAKE UP JEFF!".

As for the small contribution made to the world of Klezmer in our region, I'll take this as an opportunity to "plug" myself and the others down under who have brought Klezmer to the ears of tens of thousands in our sparsely populated land over the past years.

Klezmania (Melbourne)
The Klezmer Trio (Melbourne)
Klezmeritis (Melbourne)
Spiel Azoi (Melbourne)
The Red Sea Pedestrians (now defunct; Perth)
Trio Triplika (Canberra, former members of Closet Klezmer)
The Jews Brothers Band (New Zealand, but come to Australia regularly)

and there are a smattering of other wannabe klezmer groups, and bands that are now including some klezmer in their repertoire, perhaps inspired by the performances of the core klezmer bands.

Check Ari's Klezmer Shack for his impressions of Klezmer downunder and visit our website.

Apologies if there are any other established klezmer groups I've left off the list.

--
Regards,

Lionel Mrocki

Visit <<http://www.klezmania.com.au>> for the latest information on
KLEZMANIA;  Performance dates, Sound files, Photos and more.
  ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->