Re: what's the size of your klez?

Lori,

I'm not talking about the same issues you are, I think.  What I'm
calling members are all people who could play together at the same time,
any time.  We have no alternates or sidemen.  Who plays totally depends
on who can show up on any given day for rehearsals or performances --
not out of town or at a family simkhe or such.  Therefore, they are all
counted because if no one has another obligation, they could,
hypothetically, all play, as has happened at some rehearsals.

Lorele

MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> Lorele,
>
> The question of core members vs. sidemen is a fuzzy subject.  Who is a
> core
> member?  I throw that question open to the multitudes.  There might be
> two,
> three, four or more players who can play with us on a gig, but
> probably fewer
> than 20 would consider themselves band members as opposed to sidemen.
> The
> whole list of people who can play the music reliably in a simcha
> context is
> large, but I wouldn't take them on concerts without training.
> Lori
>

>> As you know by now, I am the singer with the Cleveland Workmen's
>> Circle
>> Klezmer Orchestra (amongst other things).  We have almost 30
>> members, if
>> everyone would show up at one time.  Twenty-three of us performed as
>> the
>> preconcert entertainment at the 23rd annual Yiddish in the Park
>> concert
>> in Cleveland last night before the very tight and entertaining
>> Mickey
>> Katz tribute by Yiddishe Cup.  (Terrific job, Bert!)  I'm wondering
>> if
>> we are the largest ongoing klezmer group in the world, not counting
>> those that might get together for events like Klezcamp.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->