Re: "Klezmer Kings" taken?

Hi Koby,

I mentioned this for a friend who knows a lot about
the European klezmer scene. He immediately pointed out
two things.
1) In jazz almost everyone who has dared to appoint
himself a king has been outlaughed by history
(examples: "New Orleans Rhythm Kings", Benny Goodman
as "King of Swing" - ever heard of Bill Basie, the
"Count"? - etc; the exception being "King" Oliver).
2) Klezmer has ever been neither a court nor a royal
music.

Having the opportunity I'll take a chance to quote
this friend reviewing a popular song contest. "Mr. X
conducted the orchestra with the most dramatical
gestures; Count Basie used to bend the outer joint of
his left index finger a little - and out of this joint
sprang a flock of raging horses."

Best wishes,
Sigward

 --- Koby the Interactive Bear
<kchodosh (at) suffolk(dot)lib(dot)ny(dot)us> skrev: > Is there a group
out there called the "Klezmer
> Kings" or "Kings of Klezmer"?
> No one like that is listed at the Klezmer Shack...
>
> I may want to call my group that,
> even if it could easily be construed as false
> advertising ;)

> - Koby the Interactive Bear
> "Get ready for adventure and remarkable beats!" -
> The Super Mario Bros. Super Show theme
>
> My website: Rare Cartoon Network MP3s
> http://www.geocities.com/pdestructo
> AOL Instant Messenger: sgkoby