Re: "Klezmer Kings" taken?

I'm sorry to have picked up this theme late (I was away); but can I quote
from Henry Sapoznik's liner notes to "Dave Tarras: Yiddish-American Klezmer
Music 1925 -1956"?

"[Tarras] reserved his most critical invective, however, for those who
anointed themselves a "King" of klezmer. For, despite his once powerful and
bitter rivalry with another one-time "King" of Jewish music, Naftule
Brandwein, Tarras felt that none of the new "Kings" could carry Naftule's
clarinet case (let alone his own)."

And I'm wondering - would these "Kings" have met that much? Was it a real
bitterness or just a showbiz "Who's the real King" thing?

Tom Payne