Re: Devices for half speed listening

on 10/3/00 1:10 AM, Elliott Raisen at elliott16 (at) home(dot)com wrote:

> Many members--Lori Cahan-Simon , Monika Feil ,Melissa Miller, David Owens,
> Susan Hatlevig, Ed Seib, Brian Dichter, Winston Weilheimer etc --
> have submitted  comments about using Cool Edit and  Sound Forge to digitize
> music and copy tapes and records to makes CD's. It would be great if we
> could share our experiences and know-how.
> I have found that correcting the DC offset and normalizing the volume work
> fine. I also have a small nice program to convert the wav into mp3 files. I
> want to put about 200 of my Israeli Dance songs on one CD.
> However none of the  things I tried in the Cool Edit and Sound Forge
> software was successful  in eliminating the record and tape hiss. I tried ,
> noise gate, and paragraphic equalizer. The paragraphic equalizer has
> different options, eg, Hiss cut , remove rumble, 60 Hz hum notch .
> HAS ANYONE FOUND A SOLUTION THAT REMOVES THE HISS?
> Elliott
> elllllllll

Elliott, I have never used this but it's supposed to be pretty good:

http://www.electronicmusic.com/features/reviews/software/ionizer.html

This is a Mac-based product but you should be able to find similar pc-based
products if you need to but there may be a limit how much hiss can be
removed, if any.

brian