Re: oyf(n) vs. af(n)

Tell me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I seem to remember
that at Columbia we were taught af and afn though in most other
instances, vov-yud would be pronounced oy in standard Yiddish.
Weinreich gives af when used as a preposition but gives no
tranliteration when alef-vov-yud-fe is used as an adjective or as
part of a separable verb, indicating that it would then be pronounced
phonetically, or oyf.  Of course "Standard" Yiddish is a made up
composite dialect.  My father, a litvak, who always pronounces it af,
asks me where I learned to speak Yiddish like a Galitsyaner.  I tell
him he should have taught me to speak Yiddish when I was a child.

As for songs,  I tend to sing them in (or as close as I can to) the
dialect in which I hear them on in source material, or in klal (Yivo
standard) Yiddish.  But sometimes rhyme patterns give away
information about the dialect because the rhyme only works in some
dialects.

As for Ikh and Ish, Ish sounds pretty daytshmerish to me, thought
there might be some dialect on Yiddish in which it was commonly used
other than to apear "high class."  "a bisl hier un a bisl do"
actually means "a little here and a little here."  Rather than
"neither here nor there" it's using the Germanic or daytshmerish
"hier" and the Yiddish "do" which mean the same thing.  In other
words, it either means, you could say the same thing two ways, or it
means you could say it like a German (or a Jew with pretensions to
being an assimilated German), or you could say it like a Jew.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340