Re: klezmers and fusioneers

Ari: you wrote:
>As a stand-in for the word "Jewish" I have theorized that it descends from
the pleasure many of us took in klezmer music, not only for itself, but
because it provided a bridge to Jewish culture that avoided Zionism and
religion.

And who are these "many of us" other than yourself?--
Isn't also true than "many of us" (I presume you mean "Jews")... that some
came to klezmer from _from_ Zionist music and religious music??....One
could even make a case that not everyone who likes klezmer is "avoiding"
the same things you are. What evidence is there that "those" who take their
first cultural steps back toward _any_ aspect of Jewish culture are
"avoiding" anything --or something in particular as you suggest. Maybe
they're just exploring "something Jewish" --that they like the sound of--
that they enjoy-- and that they've had some exposure to. Not everyone _I_
know chooses or bases their musical tastes on their politics. While I
_think_ you really mean to indicate that there were some people who were
essentially secular who could enjoy klezmer but not "orthodox"  or
"synagogue" music, that doesn't necessarily mean that those same secular
people are also anti-Zionist or anti-Israel.
Judy

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian,
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
P.O Box 9110  MS045
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02454-9110