Re: promiscuous fusionizers

In a message dated 12/9/99 3:34:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, Sapoznik (at)
aol(dot)com
writes:

<< That being said, all I am calling for is a measured and thoughtful
approach
 to the internalization and application of a traditional music form. Learn
the
 old music in all its variations and differences before you start applying
 other newer elements to it.
 It is possible to be both literate in the old music and forward looking in
 its multi-cultural contemporary application.

I agree with this but only to a point. Would you have preferred to wait for
Debussy to finish immersing himself in Indonesian Gamelan music before his
later work?

Jordan