RE: Wolf's Yiddish

Reyzl wrote:

>And you only thought that Yiddish music was only Rozhinkes mit mandlen,
>Tumbalayka, and Bay mir bistu sheyn and Belz.  :)

No, I didn't think that. I'm talking about what kinds of categories make
sense to present to a single audience. This has to do with what is the
aesthetic sense of a group of people. Some people, like Ari, like a
remarkable diversity, ranging from traditional klez to fusion with jazz,
rock etc., to Kronos Quartet "classicized" klez (though Ari's tastes didn't
seem to range into Wolf's creations). I could be wrong, but I think Ari is
exceptional in this regard. Personally, I would tend to categorize music
more cross-culturally according to the intent of the music
(religious/spiritual, for dancing, for focussed listening, background music
etc.) or the genre (jazz, broadway musical, baroque etc.) I wouldn't say
that my thinking on this is fully formed. Why did it strike me as odd to
juxtapose the groups that played at KlezKanada last year? I made the analogy
to music by english speaking composers. If I advertised a concert of music
composed by english speakers, what kind of music would people expect?
renaissance? romantic era? folk? jazz? pop? religious? secular? Probably, if
you were expecting renaissance and you got pop, you'd be disappointed.

>They are all Yiddish music, including as some have said Broadway musical
>classics.  Why not?  Think if someone wanted to present American music or
>Eastern European music or even Italian music?  There are all kinds of
>categories, styles, and functions.

Within any one of those categories, there is such diversity that has appeal
to very different people. You could have Italian renaissance or modern
Italian pop music etc. There was recently an east european group that
performed at the local campus - very informed, very traditional, beautiful
costumes. Members of the audience who were into folk, be it folk dance or
folk music, really liked it. Others, who were young students who came from
eastern europe, weren't so interested. The musical styles they are used to
have evolved, involve electronic instruments etc.

Matt