ben shahn

At 04:01 PM 12/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
Wolf:
Although this is an art, not music, comment, I do think the artist Ben
Shahn represents much, much more than a NY "shtetl" artist. In fact, I
never would have thought of him that way, but primarily as a social
activist artist....I still have the images of Sacco and Vanzetti in my head
as well as other images of social commentary and great typography by Ben
Shahn.

nevertheless... "Flunked Out of Brandeis" caught my eye...(of course)
...who wrote that or is that a made up "to be wished for title"? If already
extant,do you have the lyrics?
Judy

>Arts programmers need to have the vision and courage to present artists
that are
>not standard fare.
>
>For Jewish and Yiddish musical culture to matter and flourish, the
traditional
>must be balanced out by the contemporary.  The musical creations of people
>living today --whose art is an expression of their actual life, not some Ben
>Shahn <shtetl- cum -Lower East -Side> fantasy world of benign, wise
rabbis and
>kindly, old <bubbes> -- should be given more opportunity to be heard.
>
>I look forward to new young musicians writing songs with titles like
>"Rebuilding the Desktop" , "Flunked Out of Brandeis"
>and "Thank God, Tests Negative".   Words and/or music that will have
expressed
>their experience in this world.  Then and only then will we have a
vibrant, real
>and meaningful Jewish musical culture.
>
>Chiribim, chiribum.
>

>Wolf
>

>TROMBAEDU (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 12/8/99 9:31:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
media (at) kamea(dot)com
>> writes:
>>
>> << In my experience, the word "promiscuous" is usually trotted out by the
>> envious
>>  and the vengeful in an attempt to besmirch somebody's character because
they
>>  are perceived as having too much or the wrong kind of close interpersonal
>>  contact.
>>  I don't like it.
>>
>>  Please, -- Kabalas, Alan Eder/Pesach Posse, Klezperanto, Neshama, et al.,
>>  keep making more great, original and  "promiscuous" music.
>>   >>

>> I have to go with Wolf on this one. (See, we agree again) Without the
>> promiscous fusionisers, African American music would be field hollers and
>> basic blues. There would be no Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Charlie
Parker,
>> etc. I agree that bringing a personal approach to Folk idioms has to result
>> in good music for us to agree that it is good, but that doesn't invalidate
>> the technique itself.
>>
>> Jordan

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian,
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
P.O Box 9110  MS045
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02454-9110