Re: promiscuous fusionizers

    I think this is a classic insider/outsider discussion:  you can do
whatever you want with whatever music you want, but you can't necessarily
expect the result to resonate within the community that produced the music
you're drawing on.
    At our NEC summer klezmer workshop, one of our Moldavian faculty members
found himself profoundly unimpressed with the "rootedness" of some of the
recordings I played.  He described the problem he heard as a "computer
virus;"  people hear this, attach it to the name "klezmer," and pretty soon
hard drives all over the world are affected.  I liked the analogy - and
immediately realized my complicity in spreading a few viruses myself.  But
you only tend to worry about such things if you personally have something at
stake, some attachment to and interest in preservation.